Footpaths and bridleways criss-cross the countryside within and around the parish - from the village to the South Downs Way and through the woods and fields to the north.
The proximity of open countryside provides the parish with important recreational facilities for walking, riding, jogging, cycling, shooting & fishing. The sports of football, cricket, tennis, bowls and stoolball are played at the many open space areas in the parish.
This area houses two children's playgrounds, tennis club and courts and bowls club and green. The large open space is also home to the annual St. Lawrence Fair, held in July almost every year since 1313.
The event attracts a visiting funfair, parade of decorated floats, children's fancy dress competition and many other arena events, craft stalls, flower marquee, refreshments of all kinds and many other side-shows.
This area is home to the Hurstpierpoint Cricket Team and the Hurstpierpoint Football Club, including the Colts and the Has-Beens veteran players. For contact details please see the clubs and societies pages. There is also a children's playground located here.
This large open space houses a children's playground, annual five-a-side football tournament and the newly installed skateboard park.
Other children's play areas are located at Trinity Road (for toddlers), Willow Close and Nursery Way.
Children's adventure play area in the centre of the village, also a kickabout area.
Other children's play areas in the village are located at Heath Close and Oaklands.
Football, cricket and basketball are played on this large area of open space, which also has a children's playground.
Situated on the west side of the parish along the Albourne Road, these provide environmentally friendly recreational enjoyment as an integral part of rural life and provide strong community links within the parish. For details of availability, first contact the parish council.
Wolstonbury Hill, just outside the southernmost border of the parish, overlooks the edge of Danny Park and the Elizabethan Danny House, which was built on the site of an earlier hunting seat established by Simon de Pierpoint in the 13th Century.
Originally part of the garden of St George's House, the home of Bishop Hannington, and this garden was acquired by the generosity of the people of Hurstpierpoint for the enjoyment of its residents.
As the land had been untended for many years, it had reverted to being a "wild garden" and the Garden Trust intends, as far as possible, to keep this land in a natural state to protect and encourage the birds and other wildlife which inhabit it. The walk through the garden provides a link between the east and west sides of the village of Hurstpierpoint.
This is situated south along the B2117 Brighton Road. In the huge barn you can often meet new chicks, rabbits, kittens and a shire horse named Prince. There are many domestic animals and birds on the farm plus a children's play picnic area and tractor trailer tours as available. Open 9.30-5 every day. For further information contact Washbrooks on the local businesses page.
History has it that Prime Minister Lloyd George stayed at Danny in 1918 and climbed Wolstonbury Hill each morning before breakfast.
The imperial war cabinet agreed the terms of the 1918 Armistice in the Great Hall of Danny, and Sir Winston Churchill, as a member of the war cabinet, was a visitor to Danny during both World Wars.